Indian Navy deals with ever changing advanced technologies and operates and maintains highly sophisticated ships, submarines and aircraft. The propulsion machinery, weapons, sensors and equipment on board these weapon platforms are operated and maintained by sailors, who are imparted with requisite training at various intervals during their service.
The initial basic training is given at INS Chilka, District-Khurda, Orissa. This is followed by further training at various Naval Establishments all over the country. Young aspirants for career in Indian Navy as an sailor can join in either :-
1. EXECUTIVE BRANCH
2. ELECTRICAL BRANCH
3. ENGINEERING BRANCH
4. AVIATION BRANCH
5. SUBMARINE BRANCH
1. Age-17-20 years (ie. he should not be less than 17 or more than 20 years on the date of enrolment).
2. Educational Qualification-Applicant should have passed Class 12th or equivalent with
subjects of Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
SSR (Senior Secondary Recruits)
1. Age- 17-21 years (ie. he should not be less than 17 or more than 21 years on the date of enrolment).
NOTE: Relaxation of Age. Against sports quota entry, the upper age relaxation for outstanding
sportsmen, who have played at International / National / State level may be considered up to a period
of 12 months.
2. Minimum Educational Qualification – Applicant should have passed Class 12th(Intermediate) with Science stream with compulsory subjects of Physics and Mathematics and Optional subjects of Chemistry or Biology or Computers.
1. Written Exam – (Notification comes in the month of Dec/Jan and Jun/Jul)
2. Physical Test
3. Medical Test
For both Artificer Apprentice and Senior Secondary Recruit entry written exam will comprise of four sections Science , Mathematics, English and General Knowledge. Duration of test is 60 minutes.